Sunday, February 10, 2008

It was supposed to be a brick workout

My TrainingPeaks plan called for 40-60 minutes on the bike, followed by 10 minutes of running.

Ah, hubris, you got me again.

See, I haven't really be running much, so I figured I'd do more like 3 miles instead of 10 minutes. No big deal, right? I put my running tights on, and my bike shorts over that, a tank top, a long sleeve dri shirt, and my long sleeve bike jersey. I couldn't find my hat, but I don't like it under my helmet anyway and figured no big deal.

I heard the news about the wind advisory for today, but didn't pay it much mind. (You read the part above about hubris, right?) So, I get to the park, and yeah it's a little chilly (which is actually the only reason I took some gloves) but it's still close to 40F degrees. I forget to bring my sunglasses, but I'm already cycling so I decide it isn't worth going back to the car for them.

The title of this post was going to be "I think the spin workouts are really helping", at least for the first 20 minutes of my ride. I'm doing really well, I'm feeling really good, and so I decide to turn around after 6 miles. Know what I hadn't counted on? The frelling wind! I could barely move forward, the wind was so strong. I was so disheartened. I stopped from time to time, sometimes for some water. Know what I discovered? The mouthpiece was frozen, and there was ice in the bottle I'd already almost consumed! Made me glad I went with the gloves after all. The wind was really stinging my eyes, particularly the eye I hurt last year. (Well, my kitty hurt it after she spazzed and popped a paw in my eye. So much for the blinking reflex.)

It took me almost twice as long to get back to my car, so I decided to bag the run. I just couldn't face it. It took me about 2 hours to warm up. My eye still hurts. Hopefully I still have some eye drops left.

Oh pride, how you let me down.

No comments: