Thursday, February 7, 2008

Follow Up to Massage Post

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good tutorial, but how would I determine if I wanted "rolfing" (which sounds like something involving a porcelain appliance after excess alcohol intake) or deep massage?

The answer to this is not as simple as one might think.

Quick caveat - I have never been through any Structural Integration programs (Rolfing, Hellerwork, etc). I have not referred people either because I'm not familiar enough. I do know people who have gone through Structural Integration and liked it, but don't use it as their primary bodywork modality probably because they come to me.

The beauty of bodywork is that there are many different styles and techniques to choose from. The downside is that there are many different styles and techniques to choose from. How do you know which to get? Mostly through trial and error or personal recommendations, I would think.

I usually get deep tissue massage, mostly because that's what I do so I know it and like the benefits. I give Pfrimmer Deep Muscle Therapy but don't get a chance to receive it very often. From time to time I get Myofascial Release because my body loves it even if I am not good at using MFR on others. I refer a lot of people to my MFR therapist because I think the work is fantastic. However, it isn't my first choice of bodywork because I like to get my muscles rubbed, not just moved. Same with Shiatsu. I enjoyed my sessions, but shiatsu works on correcting energy flow and my muscles were jealous and ached.

Pfrimmer Deep Muscle Therapy , Myofascial Release, Rolfing, Strain Counterstrain, Trigger Point Therapy, Deep Tissue Massage, etc all aim to release fascial strain, but they all do it differently. Which will you like best? Beats me!


I'm sure this isn't a terribly useful answer, but it's the best I can offer.

No comments: