Thursday, January 24, 2008

Weekend Update

I know it's now Thursday, but I started to compose a post on Saturday and got distracted by friends. This past weekend I went down to DC to visit. I stayed with my friend S, the one who got me into tri, and her family. Another friend from college, R, also came down for a bit.

On Saturday S, R, and I went to the gym to get a swim in. Both of them have a lot more swim experience than I do, so it was a good opportunity to have my swim stroke "analyzed". They gave me some really good pointers. R bopped me on the head at least once because of my negative mental script, but I apparently made pretty good progress in the short time we were there.

On Sunday we went back to the gym to participate in my first Spinning Class. I'm glad I've finally taken a class, and is wasn't actually as bad mentally as I feared. This particular instructor was on the encouraging side more than on the drill instructor side; he didn't yell at us, although at one point he did say some people weren't working hard enough. Since I felt ready to die at one point, I am fairly certain he wasn't talking about me! My own gym isn't geared for spin classes, but I think they do have at least one spin bike. I have to take a look next time I'm there, but that's the subject of my next post. I did find it interesting to note that it's possible to clip in on the spin bike; if I get shoes I can learn to clip in and out without worrying about falling over on my bike!

All in all, it was an excellent weekend.

No comments: