Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My Triathlon & Training Info

This is a catch-up post for those who have not heard the details yet and didn't see them in the about me section.

I have signed up to do the Philadelphia Women's Triathlon here in Philly on July 6, 2008. It's a 750 meter swim (about .5 mile), 17 mile bike, and 5k (3 mile) run. This is considered a Sprint Distance. Sprints can vary quite a bit from race to race. This race has a longer bike portion than others.

The second triathlon I signed up to do is The Nation's Triathlon in DC on September 14, 2008. It is an Olympic Distance tri, and about twice the distance of my first tri. It's a 1.5 k (about 1 mile) swim, 25 mile bike, and 10k (6 mile) run.

When trying to decide what to do about joining a gym, I chose the least expensive option - I joined the gym at my college alma mater. As an alum I get a nice break on the price; a whole year costs about one or two months at some of the other local gyms, and I get access to an olympic sized pool and other fitness equipment. The downside to this is that there are no spinning classes, no yoga classes, no master swim groups (that I know of yet but I still have to check), and since the students are currently on winter break I am stuck with odd hours of availability. Some of the other local gyms do offer Day Pass options, which I will probably use from time to time just to have access to a spinning class or master swim to check my progress. I can find some spinning podcasts (although I haven't listened to one yet) so as long as I know how to do it on my own I still can.

No comments: