Friday, September 12, 2008

ChiRunning

The ChiRunning workshop was very interesting. It left me sore for the rest of the week, but it was goood! The only downside was that we were outside all day long in very little shade. I was a little worried I would get shingles if I my face got sunburned. Fortunately I keep sunblock in the car and was able to stay mostly unburned. There were a couple of spots I missed, but I'm fine now. (S, unfortunately, got burned and is having an unpleasant reaction to something; I don't think I've ever had hives but Oh Noes! that much be uncomfortable.)

We started the day practicing proper alignment. We did one exercise where we stood as we normally do and had a partner pull down on our shoulders to see how stable we were. Now no snickering, but I was not stable at all. I said no snickering! Then we were to stand in the proper alignment. It was really neat to feel like I didn't move at all. As a massage therapist I know about proper body positioning and how people should be aligned so that our bones support us and not our muscles, but it's a little different to actually put it into practice. We also talked about how working on proper alignment helps to actually align your body. So if you are a pronator like me but you are focusing on proper foot/leg/body position your muscles will get stronger without specific strength training and your arches will get stronger. Just in the one day's work I noticed a difference in how my shoes fit. (I like people like Danny Dreyer who fit my philosophy; most people who "need" orthotics do not need orthotics forever if they strengthen the areas that are lax and create proper balance.)

Another exercise that really brought home to me how to change my foot landing from heel striking, which is what my current problem is and which is what's making my shin splints act up, was to do some heel kicks (or butt kicks) while standing and then to keep doing that while running. I cannot kick my foot all the way out to land on the heel when I get my feet up to my behind. Hooray! It was nice to be able to finally get my feet to land where I'm supposed to, which is right in the midfoot where your arches are. Your arches are your natural shock absorbers. Your heel has no shock absorbers. This particular exercise is what caused me to be sore all week!

We also talked about how your cadence should be consistent. It's recommended that your feet hit the ground 85-90 times per minute. You are more efficient when you spend less time in contact with the ground. We broke into groups and tested where our natural cadence is. I run at a cadence of 83. After the triathlon I am going to focus on getting my cadence up to where it's supposed to. I bought a metronome to help. It's a little loud, even on it's softest setting, so I need to find a way to muffle it a little.

During our lunch break we talked about running shoes, and how shoes are getting thicker in the heel as the shoe companies attempt to correct the heel striking, and yet people still heel-strike and the injuries have not decreased. He uses a neutral shoe or a racing flat. One of the assistants is gearing towards running barefoot and had on these really funky shoes to help prepare her for that. The shoes are really cool and I want a pair! I just can't tell whether I like the slate blue/green or the bright blue ones.

If you are experiencing running injuries I suggest you at least read through the book, even if you aren't interested in the workshop. I think it's good stuff. I'm looking forward to implementing it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are not kidding, those shoes are definitely funky. My personal taste (surprise) is the bright blue ones. Witching color!

The rest of your post is definitely beyond your poor mom. You've already been fussing at me for posture, I can't imagine how much more you'll fuss next time. Who knows what you'll say about my feet!