Saturday, April 19, 2008

Group Brick

Today I drove into the city for a group brick. Fortunately I knew mostly where to go because of sherpa-ing last year, because the directions from the race website are truly awful. I was still unclear about parking, but I ended up parking in the Red Cross Walk area because they waved me in and didn't care that I wasn't supposed to be there.

We in the moderately slow group biked one 8.5 mile or so lap. Happily we got to see what the route is like; unhappily we got to see how insanely crowded the route was and might be on race day. There was an Alzheimer's walk going on, some other 5k running race, and all the other people who were out and about because the weather is so fabulous. The Alzheimer's walkers were in my opinion kind of rude because they took up the whole walkway. We ended up getting off our bikes to walk through them, and they were still giving us dirty looks! I did not appreciate that. Anyway, I think all the delays is why the fast group didn't do 2 full laps either. Those who wanted to run followed the bike with a 3 mile run.

I met some nice people today, and hopefully I'll even be able to train with them at some point. It was nice to be in a group effort at least once before race day though. I wasn't working on my transition time or even my running time so I have no idea how fast I did anything today. I did set my dual-timer for the return leg of the run. I can't imagine running the whole way without stopping. My training buddy today usually gets in a jog and just keeps that up, but that doesn't so much work for me. I probably slowed her down. Oops!

It was a good experience and probably in late June I will try to do the land part of the course again on my own. Now, however, I'm going to go outside and enjoy this gorgeous weather!

No comments: