Thursday, May 1, 2008

Mostly Swimming

After my last brick workout on April 19th, my shins have been really hurting. I think I have a little exercise-induced Compartment Syndrome. When I first started running in October 2007 I could feel a lot of pain in my soleus muscles. After a while there wasn't nearly as much discomfort, although it is a consistently weaker area for me. I think the combination of new pedals (and possibly the wrong orientation of clips on my shoes) and running created too much injury. Consequently, I refrained from any biking or running last week and instead went to the pool 3 times. I also worked on stripping the muscles (firm pressure along the muscle fibers), had one of the chiropractors I work with do some ultrasound and muscle stripping, and also did some fascial work to break up the adhered layers. I need a lot more of that kind of work, especially because when I touch the skin on my calves it puckers which means everything is stuck together. You'd think as a massage therapist I would take better care of my muscles, but alas. Happily I am getting some bodywork next week. Woohoo!

If I make it to the pool tomorrow morning I will have swum 3 times. On Monday I didn't get to the gym on time because I was spacey, so instead I did some lat pull downs. I did the pool and lat pull downs and 1.5 mile very very slow paced jog on the treadmill on Tuesday, to see if my legs would cooperate. It was sore, but I made it through. On Wednesday I did the pool and lat pull downs and 30 minutes on the bike. I didn't make it through the entire 45 minute spin because I wasn't feeling great. I still have some paresthesia, and I'll feel the muscle cramp, but overall it's been tolerable. I hope to do maybe some running or biking outdoors on Saturday. Not both, it's too soon for that.

No comments: