Thursday, June 5, 2008

Trail Mix - Good or Bad?

I love trail mix. It's easy to eat, has decent nutrition, and doesn't need to be refrigerated. I am particularly fond of Trader Joe's Simply The Best mix, which has cashews, almonds, dried cranberries, dried cherries, and dried pineapple. Also interesting is the one with pistachios, walnuts, and dried cranberries. Unfortunately, lately, I've been loving it a bit too much. Trail mix should not be the majority of your food for the day, especially on days you plan to exercise.

I naturally had to learn this the hard way. I should have gone grocery shopping, but was too lazy. Also, trail mix is a little bit like potato chips - hard to eat just one serving's worth. On Sunday I finally managed to drag my butt to the park for planned brick, but almost didn't make it through the bike ride. It was hot, my tum was unhappy, and I wanted to pass out. On the one hand, I still got 10 miles in, but on the other I had planned to do 20 followed by a 3 mile run.

On Monday I got 750 meter swim in. So I know for sure I can make it through the first triathlon swim. Still trying to work on more efficient breathing, and very thankful for the backstroke.

Yesterday I did a 3 mile run. My knee started hurting at the 2nd mile mark, so I actually walked a lot of the last mile because I didn't want to do damage. Knee's fine today, although my thighs are feeling it.

Tomorrow will be another swim day. Then I'll try AGAIN for the 20 mile bike/3 mile brick.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Hey Diana,

We all have bad days, that's how it goes. It sounds like you're getting there -- keep it up!

Stay hydrated in the heat, and if you can carry more quickly digestible food than trail mix, that might help. I take a bag of clif shot blocks in my bento box if I'm going for more than an hour. They work pretty quickly.

Check that your tires are up to their maximum rated pressure, too -- that helps a lot. I learned that the hard way early on! I don't know if it's as important with hybrids, but for road bikes it really is.