Friday, July 4, 2008

Practicing Transition

Finding a good space to practice transition is hard. I ended up just doing from home in order to not have to worry about locking up my bike. It's not ideal because we have a gravel driveway, but oh well.

I followed the advice of several people for setting up transition and had my socks rolled into donuts for easy slip on action, and I rubbed bodyglide on the inside of the bike shoes to aid with slipping in. I propped my helmet with sunglasses inside on my running shoes, had an extra bottle of water nearby, and had my race belt and fuel belt under my running shoes. I also taped a few gels to the bike frame.



I put some towels down to protect my feet. I started inside with my swim goggles and a latex cap I'd received at a Rookie training group meeting. By the way, I dislike latex and have a strong appreciation for my silicone cap. I ran out to my transition area that I set up on my swim boogie board to help with figuring out limited space.



I put my socks and bike shoes on first, noting that the bodyglide really does help! Then I grabbed my sunglasses and put my helmet on. I ran down to the end of the street to simulate running out of transition to the bike mount area. I went around the block, dismounted at the end of the driveway, ran up to my gear and switched to my running stuff in very little time.



I practiced this a couple of times. The last time I even tore off one of my gels. It really is easy when they're taped to the frame!

Now I'm off to hang with friends for the Fourth of July celebration.


No comments: