Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Thanks for all the fish.

Dear Diary, it has been so long since I last wrote to you. Have you missed me?

So, lots to catch up on...

Two weeks ago I managed to get a new gym card. They didn't retake my picture, but turns out the card still works from the pocket in my gym bag so the uglee picture can stay hidden. I did a mini-brick with 25 minutes on the bike and a 10 minute run. It was amusing to see me, since I had forgotten to bring my running shoes and so I did the whole thing in my Keen shoes. (Favorite Brand of Shoe Ever. Seriously. I have 3 pairs; would have more but they are a little on the spendy side.) I didn't do anything on Friday or Saturday, but I did get a nice bike ride in on Easter Sunday. I also purchased my very first pair of clipless pedal shoes! I chose not to get pedals at the time. (Big mistake; see below.) While I was at the bike store I put a super fancy extremely expensive bike on layaway because it was the last day of a sale. I might purchase it! Although I probably should look for something a little less carbon. But it was a really nice ride, for the 10 minutes I had time to check it out. Felt really comfortable, but that probably means the fit wasn't right. One thing stopping me is where I found it; don't think Performance Bike does the serious kind of fitting that I might find elsewhere. (Buying a new bike is really challenging and somewhat discouraging.)

Last week I was pretty good. I got a 30 minute run in on Wednesday, a 45 minute spin workout on Thursday, and a 30 minute swim session on Friday which was my first time back in the pool in over a month. I never manage to get the Monday workouts in and I skipped the Sunday workout.

I took my new clipless shoes with me to the gym on Thursday, thinking it would be a piece of cake clipping in. Well, imagine my surprise when that did not work. I foolishly didn't read the directions, but more importantly, I didn't quite understand that the cleats come with the pedals, not the shoes! I hadn't brought my other shoes with me from the locker room, so I had to force the shoe into the toeclips. Very disappointing. I have not yet gone to get cleats or pedals, so I won't be able to use the shoes until then. I may decide to put pedals on my clunker; it's a mountain bike, so mountain bike pedals might not be terribly odd. I have to see.

Tomorrow I am going to try to do my run outside. I like that better than running on the treadmill. Depends on whether I can manage to do it during the morning.

No comments: